To: All CAHA Member Associations
Re: CAHA Permitted Tryout Dates Postponement
This letter shall serve as notice that as a result of the ongoing State/County/City COVID-19 restrictions, the CAHA Board of Directors convened a Special Meeting to discuss a variety of options with respect to CAHA established 2020-2021 tryout dates. Said discussion not only pertained to rescheduling or postponement of tryouts, but also various possible options to allow player signing team/formation in lieu of actual tryouts, during this uncertain time. Ultimately, and in conjunction with the State’s projected “4 Stages” of phasing lifting of shelter in place restrictions, it was the Board’s decision to postpone allowing tryouts until the conclusion of USA Hockey’s Annual Congress (June 12-14) and the anticipated issuance of instructions from USA Hockey relative to the upcoming 2020-2021 season and COVID-19.
On the Tuesday following USA Hockey’s National Congress (June 16), CAHA will again convene a Special Meeting to re-evaluate both USA Hockey’s direction, and the State’s updated projections with respect to State restrictions affecting youth sports, in order to make a more informed and realistic decision regarding establishment of possible new tryout dates, and/or player signing team/formation options.
It is the Board’s utmost desire to establish new dates to permit tryouts to be held as early as feasible, but feel it important that those dates be set realistically for a date that is reasonably expected to be permitted by State guidelines and the lifting of restrictions Statewide, accordingly an update will be issued shortly after the June 16th Special Meeting.
Cc: M. Adams, NORCAL; D. Bigelow, SCAHA; M. Blanchart, ADHSHL; M. Petrovich, LAKHSHL; S. Galaviz, SHSHL